Last Updated: January 20, 2023, 14:02 IST
The Supreme Court Collegium lately reiterated its advice to nominate senior advocate Saurabh Kirpal, who’s overtly homosexual, as a decide of the Delhi High Court and refuted the Centre’s objection that although homosexuality stands decriminalised in India, same-sex marriage remains to be bereft of recognition.
The three-member Collegium headed by Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud and likewise comprising Justices S Ok Kaul and Ok M Joseph, mentioned the proposal for appointment of Kirpal as a decide of the excessive courtroom, which has been pending for over 5 years, must be processed expeditiously.
“In this backdrop, the Collegium resolves to reiterate its advice dated 11 November, 2021 for appointment of Shri Saurabh Kirpal as a Judge of the Delhi High Court which must be processed expeditiously,” learn an announcement uploaded on the SC web site.
Kirpal is the son of former Chief Justice of India B N Kirpal.
A look at the father-sons or daughters in the judiciary:
- Chandrachuds: Justice DY Chandrachud, the 50th and current Chief Justice of India (CJI), is the son of former CJI YV Chandrachud, the only father-son duo to have reached the position of the CJI. Justice YV Chandrachud was appointed to the post of the CJI in 1978 and he retired in 1985, serving the longest tenure of seven years at the post till date. Justice DY Chandrachud, during his tenure as a judge of the Supreme Court, overturned two judgments of his father Y V Chandrachud who served as 16th Chief Justice of India. The judgments were related to adultery and right to privacy.
- Lalits: Justice Uday Umesh Lalit, the 49th Chief Justice of India, is the son of UR Lalit, a senior advocate who served as a high court judge.
- Lokurs: Retired Supreme Court judge Madan B Lokur comes from a highly respected family of judges. His father, Justice NB Lokur, and grandfather were high court judges.
- Sikris: Former Supreme Court decide AK Sikri’s father Sarv Mittra Sikri was the 13th CJI.
- Bobdes: SA Bobde, who served because the 47th CJI, is the son of eminent senior advocate Arvind Shriniwas Bobde.
- Mishras: AK Mishra, former judge of the Supreme Court, is the son of the Late Hargovind Mishra, was also a judge of the Madhya Pradesh High Court.
- R Fali Nariman: Rohinton Fali Nariman, a former Judge of the Supreme Court, is the son of famous lawyer Fali Nariman.
- Malhotras: A retired Supreme Court decide, Indu Malhotra is the daughter of SC lawyer O P Malhotra
- KM Joseph: Former SC decide KM Joseph is the son of Ok Ok Mathew, a former SC decide.
Read all of the Latest India News right here